Friday, May 6, 2011

Both Bowl and Spoon


Journal Entry; Amelia Courthouse, Virginia; April 5, 1865
There were gentlemen; there were heroes; there were common men, and cowards. Death was equal in its coming. That I survived is not enough; I must prosper, that those boys be remembered. I will remember them to my own sweet mother, and if I should meet their mothers, I shall describe them, each and all, as gallant troopers to the last breath; heroic sons of America.


The many wars waged for causes, just and unjust, are eventually resolved; history is written and revised as years pass, but mothers whose sons never return will hold that simple truth in their eyes, and still continue to give again. They know no other way.


A mother is both bowl and spoon; filling, sharing, giving; seeking nothing in return; overflowing, holding nothing back.


I have nothing to offer these mothers, only my eyes looking into their eyes, letting them know that they are not empty; that I too am their son, and they are loved.

1 comment:

  1. oh my. you just totally brought tears to my eyes.
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift beyond measure.