Saturday, April 24, 2010

Facing West Toward The Wilderness

Letter Home: April 24, 1862

Dearest Marianna,

Last week, our first fights took the life from two boys in our unit. We were north of Fredericksburg on the road near Miss Lucy Payne’s home on the night of April 18. The Federals lost thirty boys beneath the moonlight. All watched the same moon as they closed their eyes.

As we left Fredericksburg, the bridges were destroyed and we are now camped at Guiney’s Station, where I am watching that moon once more, thinking about a happier time when you and I met Miss Lucy in Fredericksburg, when you had your carte de visite made at the Portrait Gallery. I shall keep that picture close tonight as I prepare to sleep, and this night, as every night, I will hold my compass up to my lantern light so I am facing west toward the Wilderness; to be sure I sleep facing you, my love.

So, no more tonight.

I still remain
Yours, beyond the moon.

1 comment:

  1. I love the letters you write home. They are amazing. The Journal Entries make you want to just keep waiting for the next entry. Keep up the good work, Michael.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift beyond measure.