Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Your Reach is Wide

#Reverb13 Day 4:  What have you lost, what are you grieving?


While writing this post, I ride the sideroads and see a lot of whitetail deer,
 but never one like this. The reach is wide.




On that night, the doctors wrote, “Cause of Death: Heart Failure,” but they were wrong; it never failed you.



In the middlenight, we plant by moonlight; when I faltered at the ridge on the burnt hill road, I did not fall, I remembered your promise on that last day, and kept climbing. I do not grieve for you; I will miss you more than all I’ve lost, but grief is for the suffering and you did not accept suffering. Your reach is wider now; I did not think that possible. No longer from anywhere, you are not of any age; you have always been, and will always be the voice, the plan of the planter. They that seed are everything; they are the breath, the whisper, the promise of all that came before. Your lantern shines through the chiaroscuro, from every starlit flicker to the blueblack wings of night, and I will hold that ageless flame before me, and go, as you would go, to the ridge where the seeds will grow.


6 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one special deer.

    As for your words, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what life is. And what lies beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes people tell us to "put a positive spin on it!!" and I think BLACH!! and yet I suppose if we all thought hard enough we could instead look for not the "positive" but for what comes unexpectedly out from any situation. That is the power of life, which is what I hear you saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The atmosphere in this piece is truly beautiful. As is the deer.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift beyond measure.