Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Note about Journal Entries.



“Every picture tells a story, don’t it.”, said Mr. Stewart.

Sometimes I need to justify to myself why I spend so much time writing a journal when I could simply make art for art’s sake; ''l'art pour l'art'', as Gautier called it. I suppose, like him, I take pleasure in telling a story; journal entries are my narrative and my art recalls elements of the story. Each art piece then becomes a collection of symbols, not unlike the cave paintings at Lascaux or the pictographs scattered across North America nearly 12,000 years ago. The finished combination of symbols does not directly tell the story or explain; it points in a direction and the viewer decides what the narrative should be, based on their own interpretation of layer upon layer of symbols. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts; an infinite combination of stories; each personal to that viewer, so for 6 billion people, there are 6 billion stories of 6 billion worlds. All in each and each in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are a gift beyond measure.