Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12/12/12

Written Receipts for Paid Attention
Carolina Wren 12/12/12 by Michael Douglas Jones




    At 12:12:12pm on 12/12/12, I sat on the small wood wall behind my cottage, near the line of tall pines, beneath the winter roost of the Cooper’s Hawk. A wisp of whitest clouds carried the sound of distant dogs, and the laughter of school children on the recess playground across the valley. The sun, to the south, settled low on this short December day, but warmed my cheek, like wool wrapped around me. Beneath the redbud, on the split-rail post, a Carolina Wren rattled a warning about the Cooper’s Hawk above. I breathed in the crisp cooling air that warms our ancient hearts, and knew that this was indeed an extraordinary moment, never to be repeated. A moment not unlike this moment; or this moment. Or this.




5 comments:

  1. The very best of extraordinary, ordinary moments. I could see it, smell it, hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can envision you there. and take it in with you. you will carry that moment in time with you always.
    in fond regard, tilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. i got goosebumps. my god, but this is good.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a gift beyond measure.